Think reading books is a waste of time? Think again! Reading books whether it’s online or print can be useful in so many ways. I’m not talking about reading that “How To..” guide or a cookbook, but I’m talking about reading stories. Those books are out there on the shelves for a reason: to be read. Without readers, the characters and stories around them will have no meaning to exist.
So why should you curl up with a good book? Here’s why:
1. Books whisk you away to a new world, which can help you escape from your daily grind.
2. Exercise for your mind – as you get older, it becomes more and more crucial that you exercise your brain. This can reduce your chances of developing Alzheimer’s (a friend once told me this).
3. You can learn something new. Expand your vocabulary, learn about a new place or animal.
4. A way to relax, especially if you’ve been having a rough morning/day at the office. Books are great way to calm your nerves.
5. Brings out your emotions. Sometimes we just need to laugh, cry or be in suspense.
6. Something to talk about on a first date. While not everyone appreciates books, they are a great way to break the ice. Books also demonstrate your intelligence. (Everyone loves a man/woman with brains!)
7. A way to pass the time – waiting at the doctor’s office, a long flight, train ride, daily commute. Need I say more?
If you’re a writer, reading books is expected of you. Whatever genre or type of writing you’re doing, you need to research books in your genre, so that you can see the styles of similar authors. So go onto Amazon, or to your local bookstore and start reading!