There are so many genres of books to choose from; horror, fantasy, sci-fi, the list goes on. And it seems that the post-apocalyptic/futuristic ones are in the ‘In-crowd’ as we say today. While every genre is great, my favorite has to be the contemporary type. One might think I like them simply because I write contemporary new adult fiction. While that is true, it isn’t the only reason. I don’t know why, but I have always felt a certain connection to contemporary novels. Now I’m not trying to convince everyone to instantaneously stop reading all other genres and read contemporary ones. I’m simply stating why I like them.
So after careful thought, I like contemporary/modern genres for the following reasons:
- I can instantly relate to the characters and their worlds.
- they focus on real-life issues that affect us all.
- I can get into the stories quickly and often stay there throughout the read.
- It is much easier for me to visualize the story, because it is important to me that I can see the characters and the settings clearly.
- Because they are set in the modern-day, it makes me think that the stories can likely happen even if they are fiction.
- The characters must overcome a conflict and I often learn something from the characters’ actions.
- These stories help me escape my daily grind.
So even if contemporaries are not your thing, try reading just one at some point. Perhaps, you will end up liking them for the same reasons I do. But again, I’m not trying to change your mind about your reading tastes.