So tomorrow will be the beginning of what I consider to be the greatest tournament in the world: the FIFA World Cup. Some people love it, some like it to a certain degree, while others have little to no interest in it at all. I intend to watch as many games as I possibly can, even if that means I have to miss out on a class or two. I’ve anxiously waited for this during the last four years, and I absolutely get into the madness of it all. I follow soccer year-round, from my beloved Real Madrid, World Cup qualifiers and UEFA Champions League – I could go on! This World Cup is particularly interesting because it will be hosted by Brazil. Brazilians seem to be masters at the game, especially as they have won the title five times. Just about every Brazilian loves the game and will look forward to seeing the tournament being played in their own backyard.
As I am in Spain, avoiding World Cup fever is impossible. Everyone is talking about it and some are hoping Spain can lift the cup again in Rio as they did four years ago in Johannesburg (we shall see).
No matter your interest, here’s five reasons why YOU should watch the World Cup:
- It’s the world’s game. Every country on the planet knows it, so every country will be interested in it, even if they are not actually participating in the tournament.
- It’s a great excuse to have a longer lunch break, or even skip work. Perhaps, your boss is soccer fan and will let everyone watch a game or two at the office since most of the games will be on during day (depending on where you are).
- The World Cup is full of drama, excitement and controversy. Every game is full of surprises, so you never know what is going to happen.
- Everyone around the globe seems to forget their daily grind and come together to enjoy the beautiful, insatiable game. As I like to describe it, “The world stops for one second during the World Cup.”
- It only comes once every four years.
32 teams and at the end of it all, only one team will be crowned champions of the world. While there are many favorites to win this year, anything can happen. So don’t just watch the “big” games, watch as many games as you can. So do like me and enjoy the beautiful game!